Above-knee prosthesis with: Genium
A new world of movement for you
To book an appointment at one of our friendly clinics, please click here.
book an appointment
What you need to know
Advantages for you
Walk up stairs step over step
The ONLY microprocessor knee that lets you walk upstairs under your own power, thanks to Genium’s many sensory inputs.
Cross obstacles more smoothly
Now everyday obstacles can be stepped right over—supported by a stable, flexed knee when your foot strikes the ground. No more awkward swinging your prosthetic leg around the impediments of daily life.
Walk backwards, forwards ... and more
Genium detects your forward and backward motion and provides support as needed. You’ll be secure even when stepping backwards or changing direction
Stand more easily
The Genium can tell when you’re standing and automatically resists further flexing. Suddenly, you’re more relaxed while standing, saving you energy and taking stress away from your sound side – even on inclines and uneven surfaces.
Sit more naturally
If you sit for more than two seconds (with your thigh parallel to the ground and minimal weight on the leg) the Genium reduces resistance to take a more natural position—and switches to an energy‑saving mode!
Everyday dust and dirt is no problem for Genium. But even better, the Genium is rated IPX-4 – which means you are protected against splashed water from all sides. It’s the only microprocessor knee to be tested to the IPX standards.
Every step is smooth and secure
Choose one of the Triton feet from Ottobock to complete your Genium system:
- the lightweight Triton carbon fibre foot with exceptionally smooth control;
- the Triton Vertical Shock (VS) with great shock absorption in a compact design;
- the Triton Harmony with integrated vacuum technology;
- the Triton Heavy Duty, robust and waterproof, for particularly challenging conditions), or
- the Triton Low Profile, with especially low structural height for those who need the extra room
Stability and function in the palm of your hand
Switching between the 5 available activity modes is easy and convenient. The hand-held remote control also includes a battery level monitor and step counter.
No need to interrupt your busy day to re-charge.
With a battery life of five days, there’s no problem if you need extra time away from your charger. Plus, Genium’s charger is connected with magnets to the back of the knee. Makes charging easy - even through clothing or cosmetic covers – and no open charging ports.
How the Genium works
Genium’s advantage: Optimized Physiological Gait (OPG)
How does it work?
The Genium maintains a hydraulically controlled 4˚ of preflexion of the knee joint when your heel starts your stride (heel strike), which allows your foot to reach full contact more quickly and gives you a more stable start to your step.
(2) Adaptive Yielding Control
Intelligent knee flexion (max. 17˚, depending on the situation) gives you more efficient, intuitive control of your prosthesis.
- Because the knee is flexed it better absorbs shocks and helps limit future orthopedic problems.
- Easy to take off with a quick step or side step.
- Makes slopes and uneven terrain easier to handle, while reducing the need for you to make compensating movements.
(3) Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
The heart of the system: DSC continuously samples multiple environmental inputs—including a gyroscope and 2-axis accelerometer—which determine the appropriate resistance (support) and release at any time during your walking cycle. That means optimum security for you.
- Supports multi‑directional movement, so you can take quick steps— forwards, backwards, and sideways.
- Increases stability when walking backwards.
(4) Adaptive Swing Phase Control
You get precise control of your lower leg no matter what your walking speed is. This also helps to prevent falls.
- The quality of your swing phase (when your leg is off the ground) is far superior to other prosthetic knee joints.
- It’s easier to swing your knee through during a stride, helping reduce the risk of stumbles and falls.
- There are no limits on walking style: quick, slow, irregular— Genium handles it all.
Choose any of the Triton feet from Ottobock to complete your Genium system
The lightweight Triton carbon fiber foot with exceptionally smooth control
The Triton Vertical Shock (VS) with great shock absorption in a compact design
The Triton Harmony with integrated vacuum technology
The Triton Heavy Duty, robust and waterproof, for particularly challenging conditions
The Triton Low Profile, with especially low structural height for those who need the extra room
Patient weight: Max. 330 lbs/150 kg
Weight of the knee joint: 2.9 lbs (1,320 g)
Weight of the electronic tube adapter: 0.6 lbs (290 g)
Weight of the electronic tube adapter with torsion function: 1.3 lbs (530 g)
Moisture protection: Rated IPX4 – protection against splashed water from all sides
Adjustable activity modes: 5
Operating time with fully charged battery: Approx. 5 days
Knee flexion angle: Max. 135°
Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Not finding what you are looking for? Please contact us!